Game of Thrones, The Tudors, Red Riding Hood, Captain Underpants and the Perilous Plot of Professor Poopypants. Summer Beach Reads and Shows

Forgive me, I've been neglecting my blog lately. I've been spending a lot of time outside, hanging out with my munchkins, taking extra long walks with the dogs, tending to my garden, reading and watching shows with the hubs after the kids are tucked into bed.


Here's a quick recap of what I've been watching and reading.

TV Shows:

Game of Thrones (based on books by George R.R. Martin)
An epic fantasy tale on HBO. Phwoar! This was fast, furious and action packed. The prose is so hauntingly beautiful but it's a bit dark and depressing. Everyone you root for ends up dying, but if you can stomach all the violence and gore, this series is definitely worth watching! Rated R



The Borgias on Showtime.
I just started watching this series, and so far it is devilishly deviant. Jeremy Irons plays Borgia, the Spanish cardinal who became Pope Alexander VI. Showtime calls it ~ “One of the most remarkable and legendary families in history – inspiring Machiavelli’s The Prince and Mario Puzo’s The Godfather.” Rated R.



The Tudors. I loved this series on Showtime and since it's on Netflix, I'm finally caught up on all the episodes. It's a sumptuous drama of love, lust and rebellion. And Henry Cavill who plays the Duke of Suffolk *sigh* he's dreamy. But after finishing this series, I think I've seen one too many beheadings! Rated R.



Movie: Red Riding Hood
Just rented this from Red Box and plan on watching it tonight. From what I've read, it's a horror-tinged romance directed by Catherine Hardwicke (she directed the first Twilight). Anyone seen this, if so what are your thoughts? I've often wondered why it's called Red Riding Hood, when she doesn't do any "riding" at all.






Books:
I'm simply obsessed with The Tudors and nobody does the Tudors better than Philippa Gregory (The Other Boleyn Girl).








Got this book for my kids:

Captain Underpants and the Perilous Plot of Professor Poopypants. I bought it for my daughters and so far, it's a HUGE HIT! It's silly and fun and even mommy and daddy enjoy it. And the best part is, there are TONS of Captain Underpants books for the whole family to enjoy. What can I say? We are a dorky family.


13 comments:

  1. Dear baby Jesus I've missed you. But I'll forgive you for being away because you reminded me about "Red Riding Hood." Need to see that. Let me know how it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl! I've missed you! It's glad to see a post from you!
    There is nothing better than spending time with the family, especially during our short summer :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! An update!

    "Game of Thrones" was my obsession when it was on. Hated that my two fave characters died but there is so much more to come! (Almost done with the first book of the series, as well.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please update us about Riding Hood, wanted to see that myself. Glad you are back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have also been obsessed with Game of Thrones! It is such a good series. Let us know what you think about Red Riding Hood. I'm glad you are enjoying your summer:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, Kristin just said exactly what I was going to about Game of Thrones! Didn't miss an episode and when the series ended, I had to end up Wikipedia-ing the rest of the books to find out what ends up happening (because I couldn't wait for next season or to read the books). Holy confusing and depressing!

    I've always had an intellectual actor's crush on Sean Bean though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alexandria - I was pleasantly surprised by Red Riding Hood. You keep guessing who the wolf is till the end and I guessed wrong. Def suspenseful.

    Nadja - hey girl! missed u too. Hope you're enjoying your summer. xx

    Michelle - lol, I know. I was bummed that Sean Bean died, but at least the dwarf is still alive. Let me know how you like the book series.

    ModernMom - I was pleasantly surprised by Red Riding Hood. You keep guessing who the wolf is till the end and I guessed wrong. Def suspenseful.

    Kristin - *kunckle bumps* on Game of Thrones =)

    Lisa of Respect the Shoes - I did the same thing and wikipedia-ed the rest of the books. I just HAD to know.
    I have an intellectual actor's crush on the midget. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I've been wanting to see that Red Riding Hood. I don't get to watch anything really. Always so busy. But Hubby and I are just starting the second season of Lost on DVD and so totally hooked on the show. Currently reading The Glass Castle by Jeanette Wall and just as hooked on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just wanted to stop by & say hi. I hope you're doing well. I was recently looking at the bows you sent and looking forward to putting them on her. Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have very similar taste! You need to read Game of Throne as well..and I will start watching The Tudors - I LOVE the books by Phillipa Gregory as well!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how brilliant was The Borgias? I thought Jeremy Irons was brilliant as a devious Pope. And damn i always get a bloke in india why don't I get you, why? why?

    ReplyDelete
  12. lisa where are you? it's been ages! i hope you are well =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Philippa Gregory is my all time favourite Historical fiction writer. Do call by my book blog sometime if you are interested in my. reviews on her. I see you have even written your own book, let me know if you are interested in me reviewing it for you.

    ReplyDelete