OOTD and Happy Birthday Mom

"Shall we make a new rule of life from tonight: always try to be a little kinder than is necessary?"
                                                                                                          ~ J.M. Barrie

My mom has always taught me kindness. Her first name happens to be Mercy; and she is one of those rare birds who actually lives up to her good name. This is a true and fascinating story . . . my mom is not partial to any religion but calls herself a Buddhist and she hero worships Sai Baba (a popular Indian guru and spiritual figure). Many years ago, she visited a Sai Baba temple in Malaysia and there she stood before the altar and took a pinch of the ashes from the joss-stick burning in front of Baba's picture. In Sai Baba's temple, there is always a sacred fire (Dhuni) burning. The ashes from this fire is called Udi and it is freely distributed to his devotees. My mom was told to hold the ashes in the palms of her hands and invoke Baba's aid by chanting his name and by doing so, he will send her a message. Several minutes later, the ashes magically disappeared from my mom's hands, and it was replaced by a tiny Goddess of Mercy figurine, also known as Guanyin. If you aren't familiar with the Goddess of Mercy, she is the bodhisattva associated with compassion as venerated by East Asian Buddhists. Isn't that just completely MIND BOGGLING?!? I couldn't believe it. But with my mom Mercy, miracles do happen.

For most of her life, my mom was an occupational therapist and she worked with the mentally and physically disabled. She was the Director and Head of the Rehabilitation department at Cheshire Home in Singapore for many years. And everyone loved her . . . the patients, the cooks, the therapists, nurses and aids, I could not believe how many lives she touched. She exudes a quiet beauty and a kindness that is so true. I'm not saying she's a saint; I happen to know that she's capable of doing a Lorena Bobbit if provoked (and she'd feed it to the ducks). But she is a genuinely good person with a good, good heart. And I am so proud to call her mom. My mom reads my blog, so dear mom, you are a Goddess amongst Goddesses. You are my Goddess and I love you so, so much. Happy Birthday. Thank you for teaching me by example and I can't wait to see you soon in the Mother Land! xoxo <3 <3 L 


Oh and here's my OOTD. Um, and why am I holding a globe? Beats the heck outta me! It's Friday and I'm loopy. I guess you can call me Loopy Lisa. Have a good weekend ladies!


Top ~ Anthro/ Cadri - Anthro Elodie Lily/ Jeans ~ AE/ Shoes ~ Dolce Vite

18 comments:

  1. Your mom sounds wonderful, happy birthday to her!

    hehe I don't mind the globe at all...in anthro catalogs they always have odd props on set so a globe is perfectly normal in my book.

    happy friday lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post. Your mother sounds like an amazing woman! Happy Birthday Mercy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, what a lovely post to your Mother :) Happy Birthday to her! Is that the same shirt that came in the plaid print? Looks great with the cardigan under it. And globes! Great prop hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday to your mom, Lisa! This is such a wonderful post. I'm sure she will have tears in her eyes upon reading.

    I think the globe replaced the ashes in your hands, as a sign of your upcoming trip to M'asia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lisa, What a beautiful post in honor of your mother. Now I know where you got it from :) She looks so pretty and you are so cute! (Just assuming that's you in the picture) And here is I big "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" to your Mother Mercy :) many long and happy years!And I think you holding the globe, Means your mother means the world to you !

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet post:) I love hearing stories like that, so magical! Happy Birthday to your Mom!

    I am wearing my Elodie Lily cardigan today too!!!!!! How cool! It's one of my favorites. You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, Lisa! It's so great to see us Asian girls have a close relationship with our mothers. Your mom seem like a great, courageous woman, so here's to wishing her a happy birthday and many more to come!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday to your mother! Your mother is beautiful and it is so sweet you dedicate the post in honor of her :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awwwww! :) Moms rock (and so do globes).

    ReplyDelete
  10. so sweet! best daughter ever!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cute you are in this Mother / Daughter photo. You're a thoughtful and gracious daughter for honoring your Mother on her Birthday. Your loving story about her kindness is the perfect example of how well she has raised you. And in turn you have all the blessings of her kind teachings to shower on your own beautiful daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks to all you lovely ladies for your sweet comments and your b'day wishes for my mom. She said she read each and every one of your comments and she thanks you for your warm wishes. Awww mom, I love ya and miss ya.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww this is so sweet Lisa. What a lovely post. I'm all teary. Your mom must be very proud of you.

    And to Aunty, a happy belated birthday to you Aunty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lisa, this was so sweet. I love your mom just from what I read here. Hope her year is full of happiness and health. Your outfit here is rockin! Love the open Elodie Lily cardi over the Cadri. Perfecto!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That was the sweetest post ever! Sai Baba! My ex (*cough*) did his thesis on Sai Baby back in college...Very neat!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your mom sounds amazing!
    Love the ruffles on this top and the globe is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Titanium Necklaces Titanium Necklaces
    Today is March 8, women wish the whole world happy holidays, always beautiful!
    besides,thanks for your sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Molly - awww, thanks.

    Marie - your ex did a thesis on Sai Baba?!? for realzzzzzz? How kewl.

    ReplyDelete