MOTW (Movie of the Week) - Once

I thought I'd switch things up a bit and post a Movie of the Week instead of a BOTW (Book of the Week). Every once in a while, a movie will captivate me from start to finish, and this movie Once definitely did that and so much more. It's a musical, but it's not one of those cheesy musicals where the actors randomly burst into song. And it's a love story but it's not a traditional love story by any stretch. The two leads roles are played by Glenn Hansard and Markéta Irglová (they actually started dating after filming the movie). Their acting is raw and honest, and the pop folk music is beautiful and intoxicating. This movie was the winner of the World Audience Award at Sundance (2007) and the hauntingly sweet song from the soundtrack, Falling Slowly, won the 2007 Academy Award for Best Original Song. I rarely ever re-watch movies, but I have watched this film dozens and dozens of times. I am a complete sucker for Irish flicks and this movie is classic, magical, unforgettable and it's proof that you don't need a multimillion budget to achieve great work! A little movie with a BIG heart.

3 comments:

  1. I love this movie! Some friends made us watch it several years ago and I fell in love. The music is beautiful! We bought the soundtrack and every time I hear one of the songs it just moves me. I really need to buy the movie...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this, Lisa! Haha I have to admit, my girlfriends and I watched this during our annual sleepover and I totally did not get the movie. I was like what??? He gave her a piano??? That's it? It ended and he went back to his girl friend??? Haha. Meanwhile my girl friends were all crying! I must have not gotten the message so I need to watch this over again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindi - lol. you crack me up. That piano bit had me bawling like a baby. *Chokes* *SOBS* *Sniffles* I'm getting teary eyed just thinking about it . . .

    ReplyDelete